AKA FROSH 2013.
So, I just entered my first year of university at the tender age of 19. Not that tender compared to some, but whatever.
Here are some tips/advice that I would give anyone going into their first year.
1. JOIN FROSH! Honestly, best decision I’ve made so far. I have met so many people that I never would have gotten the chance to meet and I’ve made memories that I will look back on for my four years of university and beyond. Seriously, do it.
2. Be outgoing! If you’re like me, you basically enter hermit mode as soon as you’re around people. Don’t do that! Even if it’s hard, go out there and just introduce yourself to people! On your floor, in your frosh group, in your classes! Trust me, I know it’s hard, but it will be so worth it in the end.
3. Get to know your roommate/bathroom mates! I knew my roommate going into this, we went to high school together. We weren’t close friends or anything, but it really helped knowing at least one person in my building. My canmates knew each other before this too, and they are pretty cool girls. One is even in my program, so bonus points for that!
4. Get sleep! Right now, my roommate and I are both nursing colds, probably because we were outside all week, got little sleep, and we’ve been around people a lot recently. I recommend sleeping and getting rest to try and counteract this.
5. DON’T SLEEP ALL THE TIME! Sheesh, come on people. You need to get out there!
6. Schedule in some down time. My floor has basically been going HAAM all week, while my roomie and I have been watching movies in our room at night. We both know that we’ll be here for 8 months, and there’s plenty of time for parties after we’ve acquainted ourselves with campus etc.
7. It’s okay to be sad. Trust me on this. I miss my family like hell, pretty much everyone will. This is your first time away from home for many of you!
8. It’s okay to get lost. My roomie and I did this yesterday. We got lost on a bus for two hours before we found our way back to campus. It happens to the best of us. Just remember, a lot of people have been where you are- first years.
9. Get into your school! Rep the school spirit! Go crazy! It’s a lot of fun, believe you me.
10. HAVE FUN!! This will be one of the best experiences of your life, make the best of it by having as much fun as you can.